About Me

My photo
I'm a total bookworm and a romantic at heart. I'm also a little bit of a paranormal nerd so I absolutely love books that are about creatures of the night and allow me to submerge myself into a world of fantasy.

Thursday, July 16, 2009


Synopsis:

Sookie Stackhouse is a cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana, but she keeps to herself and doesn't date much because of her "disability" to read minds.

When
... she meets Bill, Sookie can't hear a word he's thinking. He's the type of guy she's waited for all of her life, but he has a disability, too - he's a vampire with a bad reputation. When one of Sookie's coworkers is killed, she fears she's next.

Review:

I heard about this book several years ago, but never really got into it until the television show came out. I absolutely love True Blood, and Dead Until Dark did not disappoint! I was surprised that I enjoyed the book so much because normally first person novels get on my nerves. That's the only thing I had a complaint about. I think that if an author decides to write in first person then she/he should have more dialogue to balance it out and I feel that it would make getting to know the other characters easier.

I loved Sookie, shes so fun and unpredictable. She has moments where she's a bit of a busybody, yet it's clear her heart is in the right place. Bill did a great job of pulling of the mysterious act, mostly because you never know what he's thinking since it's not told from his point of view. The first several chapters were slow and it was very mellow. Looking back now I realize that was necessary to learn about all the different people living in this small little town. Overall this was a great book, especially if you love the paranormal.
MATURE CONTENT, BE ADVISED.

Cover: 4

Plot: 4.5

Character: 4.5

Writing: 3

Overall: 4/ 5

3 Comments:

  1. Eli said...
    Great review! I finished this book recently and loved it. Glad you liked it as well! x)
    Ashley said...
    I finished the Sookie Stackhouse series last week and I loved it. I'm glad you liked the first book! In my opinion, they get a lot better as you read on.
    vvb32 reads said...
    Glad you liked it. I'm working my way through this series as well and loving it. It will be interesting to see how things progress.

Post a Comment